Monday, March 24, 2008

Spanish: The Official Language of the USA

I want to point out that I am NOT racist. Most of the friends I have made in my professional life are Hispanic. With that said, I’m sick and tired of going to Wal-Mart to see all the little t.v.s they have playing ads in Spanish. I hate it when I need something and ask an attendant for help and they get this shy look and say “Que?” At which point did this become socially acceptable? I understand that English is a hard language to learn and there are a lot of immigrants trying desperately to learn it, but why do we cater to Spanish? How is this helping them? Just the other day I went to the bank, they had a separate ‘Spanish only line’. I had been waiting for over a half hour and some girl walks in, five minutes later walks out. My Dad moved to Germany years ago for military service and tells me the first thing he did when he got there was went and bought a German-English dictionary and a map. He didn’t expect anyone to cater to his English. I’m not saying that we shouldn’t be tolerant of those trying to learn English, but let’s not cripple them by making it unnecessary to learn it. My little sister worked in customer service as an operator. She had this call where this lady asked if there was anyone there that spoke Spanish. She replied no that everyone there spoke English. Then the lady said “oh, that’s ok, I can speak English then.” My sisters quick response to that was “why don’t you then?” Hats off to her. Personally, I feel that was a bit aggressive, but she did a great job of putting the point across. The reason that it bothers me so much is because it isn’t a matter of ignorance, it’s the state of mind that they have. I saw a few years ago in California a big immigration revolt in a high school. The Hispanic students took down the American flag and flew the Mexican flag with the American flag flying under it inverted. Then they stood guard at the flag pole so no one could take it down. I don’t think I have ever seen a picture that has so instantly pissed me off. I found it very offensive. I am all for immigration. Come to our country, bring your culture with you. That is what helps us be diverse, just let me keep my culture. I understand that I am here because my ancestors immigrated here. I also I keep in mind how my ancestors got here as well. They were immigrants from Denmark. The saved up money, went through all the paperwork, and set up arrangements for when they got here. They lost two kids on the way over to America and when they got here, they found that they guy they set up all their arrangements with had stolen their money and disappeared. It sucked, but they changed their last name to an American name, learned English, and started over. I understand that it’s hard. But isn’t that why we come here? To work hard and achieve the impossible? This is just my thoughts on the whole Spanish speaking issue. In my next several blogs I plan to address the issue of illegal immigration and what I think can be done to fix it. I hope you visit them soon. Remember, vote Jeff 2020.

10 comments:

Lonely American said...

I couldn't agree more! I am sick and tired of having to look all over a box to find the content description listed in English. I am sick and tired of not being able to order at a fast food restaurant in English. I am sick and tired of being in any public place and hearing nothing but Spanish being spoken around me. And what really pisses me off is that I have to actually select the English option when I get a recording on government phones. If they are going to make me choose between English and Spanish, why not offer me Japanese, German, French, Italian, Chinese, etc, etc... We are quickly losing our national sovereignty and identity to a hoard of criminals infesting our country like cockroaches. If you are a legal Mexican immigrant then WELCOME! Learn our language (English, in case you didn’t know) and assimilate into our culture. You are an American, not a Mexican. If you are an illegal immigrant, then you are a criminal and you have NO rights in this country. Not the right to vote, not the right to welfare, not the right to free medical care, not the right to in-state college tuition, and not the right to live amongst us! GO HOME, YOU ARE NOT WELCOME!

Anonymous said...

All you are is Mexican hating "white man knows everything" pig. You go to any other country now and you will be able to find people who have to learn English to suite the "American Traveler." So don't start about this whole crap of not being tolerant of other languages. Luckily there are some people out there who are smart enough to be able to learn another language to help those in need.

Anonymous said...

That's right, down with Mexi's!!!!!

Anonymous said...

I know bloggers are going to be ignorant, especially the right wing wackos but come on now, this even for a conservative is a bit much. You Americans are just so threaten by your own sense of "Americanism" that you don't even know what "being an American" really means. You guys need to walk a mile in their shoes and then you'll know how it feels. It's the commi hunt from he 50's all over again.

Anonymous said...

Damn Straight!

Anonymous said...

I think we definantly need to have an American Culture in America. Not to say that we don't except others and their diferences. just that Americca is what it is and we need to stand for it and not waver. America is everyone! And you need to get on board.

Anonymous said...

It's just more of the same old same old. That good old right wing rhetoric that got us in the position that we are in in the first place. Did you know that if it wasn't for your beloved "Ronald Regan" we wouldn't be in this situation? Yea, that's right, he was the first to put out the law that allowed the illegal immigrants to stay here. But now, oh, we can't have that. We have to kick everyone out right now. So much hatred. I agree we need to secure our borders but, we need to think rationally and think of a way that is not so drastic as to kick every illegal out by tomorrow. What would Jesus do?

Anonymous said...

Jeff & Lonely American and whoever that chicken S#%@ anonymous is should all be shot. It's people like you who have made America, the most hated country in the world. It's "We're better than everyone else" mentality that is driving this nation into destruction just like the Romans and all those other capalist pigs of a nation fell. Acceptance is the only way to really be free

What is Conservatism said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
What is Conservatism said...

Jigga Pleeeease! Do you think all of us conservatives just woke up one morning and thought to ourselves "Those dang illegal Mexicans...that's right, we are going to get rid of every stink'n one of them for no apparently good reason," because at least for myself, that was the first thought that popped into my head. Come on now, do you think we are mad just because Mexicans play insanely annoying mariachi music at 1:00 in the morning talking about the last blonde white woman that walked by their apartment porch 5 minutes eariler? Of course not, even though they really need to listen to new music. The reason everyone is mad, is because illegals don't pay taxes, strain the economy, take jobs away from Americans, take money out of our economy to ship to Mexico, make our elementary kids learn spanish, take tuition breaks for college, put a strain on our legal system, take over Wal-Mart and FINE, I'll ADMIT IT, the mariachi music at 1 in the morning is driving me CRAZY!!

Bottom line Amnesties always lead to more illegal immigration, as millions more people will be encouraged to come here in the expectation that eventually they, too, will be rewarded. We granted what was supposed to be a one-time-only amnesty to some 3 million illegal aliens in 1986, only to find that today they have been replaced by an estimated 9-11 million new illegal aliens. Amnesty doesn't cure the problem; it exacerbates it.