Monday, March 31, 2008

Invasion: Welcome to the United States of Amexica,

In a history class some years ago we got on the topic of English being the only language of the USA. Of course this turned into a very heated argument. I made the point that I don't expect anyone to speak English to me down in Mexico. this girl in my class made the argument that when the pilgrims came over her that they made the Native Americans learn English rather than taking the time to learn their language... a good point except for one little thing, they conquered the Native Americans!!! They over ran them, forced their language and culture upon them, they killed them and usurped their resources! I pointed out these basic facts and announced that should Mexico come up here and conquer America then I would gladly learn Spanish to cater to them. Be careful for what you wish for. Our borders have been overrun, Spanish has become the official language of Wal Mart, various Hispanic flags are flying high, gangs are running rampid, and our resources are being usurped through free medical care and the payout of welfare. Can you deny these things? Are we not slowly, but surely being conquered?

As I pointed out in my last blog that I am not a racist. I am all for immigration. It isn't at all an immigration problem, but an illegal immigration problem. We are not a closed country, but rather, we merely regulate how many immigrants we let in. We do this for the sole purpose to prevent all the things that I have listed above. We filter those that apply for a visa because there are certain people we just don't want in our country. I'll start with some of the obvious ones. If you are a murderer or a rapist, we don't want you in our country. If you are a gang member or a drug dealer, we don't want you in our country. If you plan to rob our 7-11s, we don't want you in our country. Now I am aware that not a whole lot of the illegal immigrants that are crossing over our borders fall into that category, but some are. Those that cross over our borders illegally do so simply because they don't meet the requirements for a visa. I have asked almost all my Hispanic friends why it is that people can't get a visa and the most common answer is a money issue. Well, this might come as a bit of a shocker, but if you can't support yourself in America, then we don't want you in our country. You can't find a single person that has their head on straight that would be glad to send their tax dollars to help people that are breaking our laws. It's not that you won't be a good citizen here, but basic economics. If you are not an asset to the economy then you are a liability and are costing us money. Now I'm not talking about our citizens living in poverty. Don't think that I'm saying 'we should cast out our homeless.' We are willing to help all those that stand in need, but our welfare is for citizens and immigrants that are here legally. If you can't get a visa and are in need of help then we'll gladly give it to you, but stay put and we'll send it to you through humanitarian aide.

I've listened to many debates on the issue. You can make the argument that they make up or buy a SSN and pay taxes and never file for a refund so they put money into the government. You can make the argument that they do the work that most Americans don't want to do. But the fact is that illegal immigration is hurting the economy. The amount of taxes that they pay (assuming that some even are) is not making up the difference of the amount they are taking out. We've always joked about what the border patrol must be saying. "Stop, don't run, you might fall and get hurt so we'll have to give you free medical care!" I worked construction for a few years and wanted to start up my own business. We were getting paid around $2.20 a square foot. My boss was telling me that ten years ago, they were getting paid around $4.00 a square foot. You would think the amount would go up instead of down, but the problem is crews started popping up with crews of illegal immigrants getting paid $3.00 an hour and they can now drop their prices and keep the profit up. It basically ruined our market.

I'm pretty sure that there isn't a lot of illegal immigrants that are going to read my blog and say 'you know, he's right. We're breaking their laws, taking their jobs, and we should try to do this legally.' and pick up and move back home and work on getting a visa. We need to do something about the problem. Nobody seems to have a clue, so, after discussing a few ideas with Pappy, this is what I propose. We should establish a team in every state, the size of the team would vary on the size of the state. The duty of this team would be to inspect every company in that state at least once a year, whether it has 1 employee or 100,000 employees. These inspections will be completely random. For every illegal employee the company has, they will be fined $50,000. I can imagine that this will be a pretty major hit to a lot of companies. I would establish a center that companies can call to inquire about an applicant to verify the SSN. The problem is that a lot of illegal immigrants buy a SSN. The employer would be able to call the center and gives them the SSN and the birth parents and they will be able to look up that number and tell the employer if that number has been made up or if it has even been issued yet. The reason businesses hire illegal immigrants is they can pay them ridiculous wages. Which, for the life of me, I can't figure out why an illegal immigrant would want to work back breaking labor for less than minimum wage. It becomes a wise financial decision to hire illegal immigrants. But if you set up a system where it would no longer be wise financially to hire illegal immigrants, then it would no longer be worth the risk.

The point that I'm trying to make is that illegal immigrants come here to make a better life. They do, but they make do so at the cost of everyone else. A poor, impoverished family has this dream of a better life. They decide to chase their dream by giving up all they have at their home and putting it all on the line for just one shot. They abandon all their belongings and hike through miles of desert, suffering through heat, exhaustion, and thirst, with the icy fingers of death creeping up their spine, just to make it here to America where they make less than minimum wage doing back breaking labor. But through it all, they made a better life for themselves and their children. This story gets me all misty too. This is illegal. I want a better life too but I don't steal someone e;es's SSN and take out all sorts of loans and really screw that person over. I know it's wrong, but at least my kid can go to a better college right.

I know this is rapidly becoming a novel, but I wanted to address amnesty. This has to be one of the stupidest ideas that I have ever heard. I know Reagan gave amnesty, and I believe that was a stupid move. You can't reward someone for breaking the law, it will only send the wrong signal. If I was a German immigrant and spent thousands of dollars getting here just to find out that we are giving amnesty to everyone that simply walked across a border, I'd be pissed. They recently raised the speed limit here in various places. If I walked into the courthouse and demanded that the state reimbursed me all the speeding tickets I had to pay and my record wiped clean, they'd lock me away. I know that there are a lot of people that come here illegally and have kids here. The kids are citizens, you are not. The sins of the fathers do not fall on the sons, nor do the sons provide atonement for the fathers. I'm not splitting up your family, you did that when you made the decision to come here illegally. You wanted a better life for your kids, well now you have your chance. You can take them home, or leave them with a friend or legal relative. It's a hard decision to make, but one that needs to be made. Thanks for reading and remember to vote Jeff 2020.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's the same old right wing rhetoric. Another conservative not putting any thought into what he is actually saying and just reciting whatever Rush Limbaugh said. Just what Americans needed, another Rushbot.

Steph said...

eh, pretty good blog except for the fact that it is completely one sided. You really don't take into consideration on how the other side feels and their points of view on the whole matter. Amnesty is definitely not the answer but getting rid of every illegal immigrant just like that is also not all that feasable.

Anonymous said...

illegals are draining our country. I might as well start now singing la coca racha or however you spell that song. You don't see people in any other country have this problem because border control is a priority and until that day comes for the US, hasta la vista to everything we hold dear.

Anonymous said...

Please, this is way everyone hates the Republicans. It's because they think they know everything but they have no idea what they are talking about. They have no idea what the average Mexican goes through in Mexico. You have no idea of how bad the life is there. Before you start throwing your right sided "holier than thou" statements, at least try to understand where they are coming from